‘Tis the gift to be simple, ’tis the gift to be free
- ‘Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
- ‘Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained,
- To bow and to bend we shan’t be ashamed,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
- Till by turning, turning we come ’round right.
- “Simple Gifts” is a Shaker song written by Joseph Brackett (1797–1882) in 1848. Aaron Copland includes the orchestral piece is his delightful composition ‘Appalachian Spring.’ My favorite singing version is by Judy Collins (of course). You might also enjoy this one with Yo Yo Ma and Allison Krauss.